We are almost in the last days of winter. I will say this winter hasn’t been anything close to what our normal winters are like, or last years 1 foot of snow twice a week winter! With that being it can still tend to feel like spring is never going come! So today, just for fun, I’m sharing with you some of the things I like to do to beat the winter blues, when it feels like winter is just never going to leave! It’s one thing to take a tropical vacation, but if that isn’t in the budget for you, sometimes even looking at warmer places online, can start to feed into the feeling of complacency, and that is the last thing you want to feel when you are trying to overcome the winter blues.
Thankfully retail stores feed into our every desire for craving spring, because just after Christmas they start to stock their shelves for warmer weather. Instead of trying to escape the end of winter, or just “get through it”, I embrace it. And here’s how :
- GET NEW SCENTS!– I am in no way paid by Bath & Body Works, nor did I receive free merch, I do this every year. They always have great sales this time of the year, so regardless of your budget, I take full advantage of their promotion and stock up on some new lotions and hand soaps for my sinks. It puts a smile on my face just washing my hands. I know you may be laughing, and that’s ok. When we have day after day of no sun, just a fresh aroma can lighten the mood. These definitely help me beat the winter blues!
- Get New Throw Pillows – There is nothing like freshening up your space with new throw pillows. Just like fresh scents can lighten your mood, new throw pillows can lighten your room. Just the slight feeling of change in a space, can give you enough of a boost until the temperatures start to warm up outside. Trust me, it makes day after day of snow a little bit more enjoyable, even if you aren’t snowed in, enjoying your space is proven to lift your mood.
- Add Green – Adding a fresh pop of green to your space, whether its fresh or faux, is such a mood lifter. Especially if you are in a climate that is covered in lots of fresh white snow, and there is no green in site. Just adding a small touch of green adds life to any space. Plus it’s a great reminder of the season that is right around the corner.
- Clean – This goes without saying, but having a clean space is calming and less stressful. I always take advantage of the winter months after christmas to do some purging, and early spring cleaning. Just getting rid of extra stuff that has accumulated over the year, and starting the year off fresh with a clean space is refreshing to be in. Plus it keeps you productive when you are stuck indoors, and who wants to spend time cleaning when it’s nice outside. Get it done now!
- Get a Spring Accessory – This can be something as little as a new bracelet, or a fresh new scarf, sometimes even a new bag in a fresh spring print is all you need to get through the end of winter. We all know a little retail therapy can go a long way, but it doesn’t always have to break the bank either. A g0-to for me is getting a new scarf, because I can wear it with multiple outfits, and throughout the year, so I get the most for my money. All of these can be found currently at Old Navy.
So I know it’s not rocket science, but it does take a conscious effort to beat the winter blues. So instead of just getting through these last final weeks of winter, choose to do something today that puts a smile on your face, and remember – Spring is Coming!!
Stay in touch!
Have a design question? Visit Doucette Design Co. for all your design needs!