Hello Friends! I hope you had a wonderful 4th of July!! We love to get together with family and friends and celebrate. Hosting is one of our favorite things to do, but if you have entertained before you know that sometimes coming up with all the food can be a bit daunting. Sometimes ideas or recipes come right to me, and other times I feel like I’m having a complete brain fart and don’t even know where to start. Today I’m sharing one of my favorite patriotic summer dessert recipes, that no matter what season you are in instantly makes it feel like summer. It’s a slight twist on a classic favorite and is a high demand in our house. I hope you enjoy!
Nothing says summer more than fresh berries! There is something so nostalgic about strawberry shortcake, and I love how light and fluffy this dessert feels, especially on those hot summer nights! My kids have dubbed this dessert as “angel cake” because it’s so light and airy, and heavenly to eat 🙂
When entertaining outside I always corral everything in a tray and make it self serve. That way it’s easy to dish out, and everyone can make their own.
*Easy Tip*~ As much as I like making things from scratch, sometimes I just don’t have the time. So an easy swap out is buying fresh made biscuits from the bakery at our grocery store. They give you that homemade taste, but save you the time of making them yourself, which can prove to be very helpful when you are trying to get multiple things ready.
Start by splitting your biscuits in half. Placing one half on the bottom. Scoop on two heavy spoonfuls of berry mixture, then top with home made mascarpone whip cream.
Mascarpone is the secret ingredient I add when I make home made whip cream. It makes it a little thicker, almost like a mousse, but still very light like traditional whip cream. It also adds a creamy taste, that guests go ga-ga over, and makes this easy dessert feel gourmet.
I top with one more tiny scoop of berries, and place the remaining biscuit half on top.
Patriotic Summer Dessert
- 2 cups of fresh cut berries – i.e. strawberries, blueberries, rasberries, blackberries. Mix a few or try them solo. Your choice!
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 ounces Mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup Whipping Cream
- 2 tsp pure vanilla
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 package of pre-made biscuits from your local bakery or enough for each guest to have one.
- Slice up fresh berries into bit size pieces. Combine in a medium size bowl with 1/2 cup sugar and slightly smash with a fork. Let it sit on the counter to marinade for 30 min, stirring occasionally.
- Make biscuits or angel food cake, if not purchasing pre-made from bakery.
- Combine mascarpone cheese, whipping cream, vanilla, and confectioners sugar in a medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Can be refrigerated for a few hours before hand, but I like to prepare mine just before serving for ultimate freshness.
Stay in touch!