Each year I like to start things off by writing down some goals I have for the new year. I’ll be sharing more on how I do this personally, but I also set goals for the blog, and projects I want to do around our home. My husband and I joke that the winter is our “Project Season”, but typically it’s because we are cooped up inside due to impending snow. It’s fun to look back on goals I’ve set in past years. We don’t always get to every house goal we have for that year, but that’s ok, they are just goals, so we can shoot again for them the next year too. So here are my goals for 2019 for around our home.
1. My Office – Off of our dining room, is a tiny odd shaped room. Behind the view you see above is a wall the houses our washer & dryer, which you can see HERE, and the rest of the room functions as an office space for me. I say functions, but honestly I am completely out of storage.
Along this angled wall is two cubby units placed side by side, and then we tacked a reclaimed piece of barn wood on top to hold them together. I sewed some curtains out of drop cloths, and used tiny clips to hang them from wire. It helps, but unfortunately the cubbies don’t fit my storage needs that well, so everything ends up being stacked on top, and not easy to put away.
The goal is to have the hubby build something similar to the bookshelf above, and then use larger baskets to coral unsightly items, but also give me a more practical storage space, and make full use of that wall.
2. Girl Bedroom Update – This one we’ve actually already started! The last time I shared my sweet little girls room it looked like this.
I never got to do a little girls nursery, so this was the first time I got to stretch my wings in creating a girls room. She was 3 1/2 at the time, but after giving her brothers room an update the fall before last, my almost 8 year old was ready for a little update. And update we did! I can’t wait to show you this completed space, we ended up completely overhauling her room, and I’m just waiting on a few final details to come in to finish things up! It is so cozy, and sweet, and the perfect girl bedroom to take her all through her tween years.
3. Porch – If you’ve been following my blog for awhile, then you may remember this goal from last years Goals post. Well it’s back, because you guessed it, we just never got around to it last year.
Our current porch is made out of concrete, that we painted. It’s held up ok, but every other year or so it ends up needing a new coat of paint.
Honestly I’m ready to give this porch a total overhaul, and stop giving it the “band-aid” fixes we’ve been giving it, and finally spruce up this first impression you see as soon as you pull in our driveway.
We love sitting out here once the weather warms up, it’s our favorite spot to sip our coffee in the morning, and I’m ready to give it the character and charm it deserves.
4. New Floors – We’ve been talking about it for awhile. Believe it or not this is a goal that’s been on our list since we’ve moved here. While some of the rooms, like our living room and front entryway, have original hardwoods, the rest of our house does not. We have cheap carpet in the bedrooms, but honestly it’s our kitchen floor that drives me bonkers the most.
We use our kitchen as our main entrance, and while having tile is great, white tile with white grout that is now all brown is not! I feel like no matter how many times I clean the floor it never looks clean, and while I love white, a white tile floor that is in the main traffic way of our farmhouse with a dirt driveway is just not very practical.
The tile was already here when we bought the house, but it has definitely seen some wear ‘n tear over the last 8 years, and this mama is ready for something a bit more maintenance friendly.
5. New Ceiling Lights – I’m constantly looking for ways to update our home without a major project involved. Little updates can go a long way when done right. While some of the major ceiling light fixtures have been updated, we still have some rooms that are sporting well – boob lights.
Our master bedroom is one, my office is another, and we have some in our hallways too. These are definitely a quicker fix, but some of our ceilings are low, so finding the right ones is sometimes tricky. But I will be sure to share the ones that catch my eye!
That’s it! I’m sure there are some other things I will want to tackle around our home, which I will be sure to share when I do. But here’s the thing about home – it’s as comfy and cozy as you make it. Sure I don’t “need” to do any of these things, and we would be perfectly fine in our home, but all of these goals only enhance the spaces we use every.single.day. And I don’t know about you, but I like the spaces that I use everyday to be pretty and inspiring, and motivate me to go out and create more beauty in my life.
So here’s to creating a home that we love to be in, and don’t worry my husband jokes with me all the time asking “Am I ever really done!?” – The answer is NO – not even in the slightest, lol!
Thanks for being here, and following along, and I’d love to hear if you have any goals for your home in this new year!